An Evidence Base in Support of the Need for Improved Clinical Practice in the Administration of 5-FU Chemotherapy Regimens

Some time ago, I said I would tell you all why I think what I do about the way 5-FU chemotherapy is given and why I think it is so wrong.

It has taken a while for me to compile all the evidence I have found to support what I think, into one place, because there is a lot of it.

It's a long spreadsheet, but I have extracted the key points from each paper I have found and read. I have highlighted the important parts of those key points, to make it as easy as possible for you to understand what so many people are saying - over and over again.

The simple and clear messages are easy to understand - BSA dosing used on its own, as it is, is not rational and has no clinical rigour behind it, Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (TDM) has been shown time and time again, to improve patient outcomes, whilst minimising toxicity as far as is possible and there are cost effective methods and equipment available to provide TDM for everyone.

Oncologists may tell you that BSA dosing is all they've got, or TDM is not what they do, or they have guidelines to stick to, or TDM is not proven, all of which they said to Sheila and I, but if they are never challenged as to why they do what they do, nothing will ever change for the better. With the evidence base I have gathered, I beg to differ with them that the case is not proven. It is. It's time a patients' movement was started to make a change for the better for everyone. Until something is done, the papers show that a large proportion of you will be unknowingly under or overdosed, neither of which are good.

I implore you, take the time to read my spreadsheet and make your own mind up. If you then think like I do, take a copy of it to your oncologist and ask them about TDM and why they are not providing you with it.

I am not hiding anything, I'm not being selective in what I have chosen to compile; I have included exactly what the papers say. You can look up and read the papers too, if you decide to; they are all online.

I have looked for evidence that contradicts what I have found and have found none. I have asked two oncologists to provide me with any evidence they have that shows what I have found to be untrue. Neither of them have been able to do so.

Here's the evidence:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PART 3: I Reached Out and Found Helping Hands

Part 11: Life Beyond Cancer

PART 4: Discovering the Truth About Sheila’s Chemo